Saturday, July 2, 2011

1512 - Geometry

ge·om·e·try/jēˈämitrē/Noun
1. The branch of mathematics concerned with the properties and relations of points, lines, surfaces, solids, and higher dimensional analogs.

Who doesn't love the word hypotenuse? The hypotenuse is the long side of a triangle that contains a right angle. The word derives from the Greek hypo- ("under") and teinein ("to stretch").  I even wrote a learning poem to remind myself of the Pythagorean theorem, which helps us solve for the length of the hypotenuse. It goes like this.

"Hypotenuse, Hypotenuse, its such a silly word.
You take the squares of the right angle legs,
to find the square of the third."
Not terribly inventive, but it works for me!

Again a nice example from brainpop.com, and also a song about triangles... Thanks James Blunt.

A triangle is a polygon. Polygons are closed plane figures formed by segments. They can be classified based on the number of sides (or angles) they have. A polygon with two sides does not exist. Below you see a sample of the most common geometric shapes. I wish I would have had this chart before I took my last test!

triangle A triangle is a polygon with three sides and three angles.

quadrilateral A quadrilateral is a polygon with four sides and four angles.

pentagon A pentagon is a polygon with five sides and five angles.

hexagon A hexagon is a polygon with six sides and six angles.

heptagon A heptagon is a polygon with seven sides and seven angles.

octagon An octagon is a polygon with eight sides and eight angles.

nonagon A nonagon is a polygon with nine sides and nine angles.

decagon A decagon is a polygon with ten sides and ten angles.

dodecagon A dodecagon is a polygon with twelve sides and twelve

1 comment:

  1. This is a very easy to read chart, I like it. I think I will make one for my daughter, she has been studying this in school. It is color coded and easier to read. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete