Sunday, July 24, 2011

1510 and 1512 - Stick a fork in it - It's done!

So, here we are at the end of our summer math course. Courses, for me. I believe I have come a long way from that frantic telephone call to my math instructor that first week, saying I need to drop one of the classes, because I wasn't able to do the math.  She said I would be able to, encouraged me to stick with it, and she was right! It took a lot of hard work, and perseverance. I am grateful for her support, and proud that I toughed it out.
I have to say I am not really sure how to feel about my experience in this class. On one hand, I am happy to have had this intensive "refresher" of basic math terms and processes, and on the other, I am appalled by my lack of knowledge of fairly basic math skills. I felt I literally had to relearn everything. How did I get through so much school without really learning the math so it "stuck"? I feel I am a glaring example of exactly what is wrong with how we have been teaching math in our public schools, for so many years.  I am acutely aware that as a new teacher the change will be on my shoulders.
So, goodbye computer and hello swimsuit! I have a date with my family at the lake, and its just going to be us and the sunshine.
Oh, and to that boy who asked my son, "Does she make you do math in the summer?" Maybe we all should be doing a little math in the summer.  I'll suggest to your mom that you give it try.


No comments:

Post a Comment